Favorite Quote Ever :)

Life is short. Eat more cake!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Caprice de Jacques Inspired Birthday Cake



I was asked to make a cake for a good friend's Birthday and one thing to note about said friend is that she happens to be girly-girl - Very girly-girl! Now, over the Holidays I picked up a few new cake books and one of them happened to be Colette Peters' book, "Cakes to Dream On" and one design I've certainly been dreaming about was her "Caprice de jacques" cake - if you've seen the book, it's just absolutely gorgeous!! Dripping with handmade details from top to bottom and the most beautiful bows I've ever seen (I am SO envious of Colette's bows and hope one day to achieve bows of that magnitude on my cakes lol!) Anyway, I thought the colors and design on a smaller scale would be perfect for this girly-girl's Birthday, so I put my plan into action! The cake was my red velvet with cream cheese filling topped with a vanilla buttercream crumb coat and white fondant which I then scored into wavy lines on the sides. I used lemon flavoring and alternating pink and yellow luster dust to hand paint the fondant. Then I added my pink, yellow, white and purple fondant ribbon roses which had also been painted with shimmer dust. I added a string of fondant pearls and a pink gum paste bow on the top (because you can't have a girly-girl cake without a string of pearls and a pink bow of course!) Happy Birthday to a very special Daughter, Sister, Mommy, Wife and Woman of God! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment